Estonian National Symphony Orchestra announces an audition for
- PRINCIPAL TIMPANI / PERCUSSION
(full-time, monthly remuneration €1835 gross, commencing immediately).
The audition will be held in three rounds – the video audition round, the stage audition round and the orchestra round.
To apply, please send your application and CV (no official application forms are provided) to email@example.com, with a quoting reference “Timpani”, by January 15th, 2022 at the latest, along with a link to one uncut video recording* where you perform:
- Nick Woud. „Symphonic Studies for Timpani“: studies no 9 and 18;
- and the following orchestral excerpts**:
1) Béla Bartók. Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta: 2nd mvt, bars 301-338;
2) Ludwig van Beethoven. Symphony No 5: from 3rd mvt, bar 324 until 4th mvt, bar 22;
3) Frank Martin. Concerto for 7 wind instruments , timpani, percussion and string orchestra: from 3rd mvt, 5 bars before no 19 until no 22 of bar 7.
Invitations to the stage audition will be sent to selected candidates by January 25th the latest, after the initial review of the sent documents and videos by the audition committee.
The stage audition will be held on March 14th, 2022 at 14:00 at the Estonia Concert Hall.
For the stage audition please prepare:
- Nick Woud. Symphonic Studies for Timpani: studies no 5, 13, 14, 15, 19, 23, 25, 27 and 28;
- a solo piece for marimba or vibraphone (approx. 5 minutes), of applicant’s own choice;
- orchestral excerpts**.
On the basis of the stage round, up to 3 candidates will be asked to play in the orchestral round during the month of April 2022, participating in turn in ENSO’s concerts and related rehearsal periods. The winner of the audition will be announced after the orchestral round.
Additional details on the audition:
All participants will play on our instruments:
– Timpani: Hardtke Berlin Classic (78, 72, 66 and 58 cm, calf heads) and small Adams Schnellar timpani (63 and 59 cm, goat heads), our timpani are in American setup;
– Marimba: MarimbaOne, five octaves;
– Vibraphone: Musser M55.
The stage audition will take place during the course of one day. Only live performances are possible. ENSO will not supply participants with visa invitations and will not pay travelling nor possible quarantine costs incurred by competitors. Candidates for the position will be required to present a valid digital COVID certificate.
Additional details on the Position: Position withholds managing the section, leading sectional rehearsals and preparing all timpani and percussion parts. Alongside their musical responsibilities, section principals contribute to the management of the orchestra through the Board of Principals.
All foreign colleagues are expected to become proficient in the Estonian language within a short timeframe.
* The video recording must be filmed with one camera, the player facing the camera so that also both, the player’s hands and the instrument, can completely be seen throughout. Any post-processing of the sound or picture is prohibited. All required music can be recorded in one take.
** Orchestral excerpts are available on our website under the audition announcement, for the videoround immediately and for the stage audition by February 28th, 2022.
phone: +372 6 147 787
Estonian National Symphony Orchestra
Estonia Ave. 4, 10148 Tallinn